Maxi Danger Uncut

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Love At First Sight

Some of you predicted that I would come to Japan, fall in love and stay forever. Despite my best efforts to avoid this, I stand before you today and must declare that it has happened. I'd like you to meet Ruby:




Isn't she beautiful? She also goes by the names 'The Red Dragon' and 'The Danger Mobile'. Picked her up at the local version of kmart for around a hungy bucks. Superb. She's got six gears AND she folds up if you want to take her on the train. Those attributes alone qualify her for automatic entry into the league of awesomeness. My roomate Fern (also pictured) bought some new wheels as well, and as you can see we are now clearly the baddest mother f.ckers on the block with our pimpin' rides. I was cruising with Ruby the other day wearing sweats, a hat and a gold chain, and some japanese dude stopped me in the street and wanted my autograph - took me a while to explain that I actually wasn't Snoop Dog but got there in the end. True story. My street cred may have dropped a couple of points though cos I was listening to Missy Higgins at the time. I'm going to have to tell all the Jap girls to form an orderly queue cos no doubt I'll be swamped when they see me gettin around on the Red Dragon. Lucky there's plenty of Maxi to go round...
In other news, I'm trying to pick up some of the language and am generally managing okay. However yesterday I couldn't understand why I was getting puzzled looks from the restaurant staff when I ordered a glass of water ('chizu kudesai'). Eventually they worked it out because one girl understood a little bit of english. A couple of minutes later I realised what went down - instead of ordering water, I was ordering a world map (or cheese). Note to self: MIZU means water, not CHIZU.
Work's been going pretty well. My students were slightly hesitant at first because they're obviously not used to having such an incredibly good looking/buff and cut teacher, which is completely understandable, but they get over it reasonably quickly and most of the lessons fly by. In keeping with my 'Aussie-a-cise Japan' mission (by the way thanks to those who posted replies!), this week I've introduced the terms 'no worries', 'g'day mate' and 'hottie', and also explained the phrase 'whinging pom'. As we've got a couple of teachers from the UK I had to ask my students to not mention the last one to any of the other teachers, I think they're loyal though so it should be all good.
Keep me posted on the gos back home,
Love Maxi.

ps - Can't wait till the Dwayne's World blog goes live. Also seriously considering flying back for a couple of days just so I don't miss out on the opening of the Palace's 2nd Floor. Ahh, The Palace - good times, good times...

7 Comments:

  • Good to see you have fallen in love! All's well at the home of Max. Caz and Carla and I went to see the Pies crushed; they were pathetic.

    cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:09  

  • Hi Nash,

    I like this blog thing you've got going... will have to set up my own when I go OS. Yeah love the bikes... I thought you would have got a pink one though with a basket on the front. Anyway, how bout teaching them words like like 'tuning' and 'Tip' or phrases like 'have a dip' and 'lunch cutting'... you know, stuff they can actually use on the street. Maybe you can demonstrate for them.

    Hope this helps.

    Bye for now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16:35  

  • Gab, that is absolute gold. Will make it my number one priority this week. I'll make sure to include the associated hand signals (such as the giant scissors for lunch cutting) as well.

    By Blogger Maxi, at 21:48  

  • hey lil mikey,
    do you go by the name "nashi" at work. that will fit in nicely for when you describe what you get when you have a dip. boo-yow!!
    i got drunk on friday before i remembered to print off my email list. so i forgot to print off my email list. can you send me your email address to my hotmail address.
    got my tokyo details. i'm near shinjuku. double pump!!
    say hi to fern from me (in your most feminine voice)
    emsy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53  

  • Hey darl,
    Bear with me l'm a newcomer at this 'blogger' job. Love rockin Ruby - you go son. All is well in sunny Qld (although it's shitty today) Tin lids go back to school in 2 days (Yeh) Al kickin' goals in year 11,(Need any help with the lingo ask Alicia who is ranked numero uno in her Jap class with A, A, and A+.) Nico surfing well, Lewi rugby demon, and Camo beeeeaaaaauuuutiful. Bj and M are supposedly coming up for a hol on the 29th of July so looking forward to that. We may be planning to ski Japan in Jan so check it out for us.
    Love and cheers Micky san
    Love Susie xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15:13  

  • Michael - i love you blog! hillarious and brilliant writing, very enjoyable. Was a bit worried when after reading the title of your latest entry("love at first site") slowly downloaded the first part of the photo: you and your male roommate :)

    take care,
    Natalia (and "hi" from John)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21:59  

  • Now that I have been so graciously given the Blog address from 'Mikey', let me first respond to Natalia's comment. I'm not gonna lie to you, when I first read the 'love at first sight' blog, I was somewhat surprised and thought that my new Australian roommate was coming 'out of the closet' via his Blog. Needless to say I re-read the post and all is well now. =)

    As for Em's comment....Hello Em! =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 01:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home